Langsung ke konten utama

CONJUCTION



1.       USING PAIRED CONJUCTION
þ  both ... and                                                                                                                                                                          þ  not only ... but also
þ  either ... or                                                                                                                                                                           þ  neither ... nor

(a)    Both my mother and my sister are here.
(b)   Not only my mother but also my sister is here.
(c)    Not only my sister but also my parents are here.
(d)   Neither my mother nor my sister is here.
(e)   Neither my sister nor my parents are here.
Two subjects connected by both... and take a plural verb.
When two subjects are connected by not only... but also, either ... or, neither... nor, the subject that is closer to the verb determines whether the verb is singular or plural.
(f)     The research project will take both time and money.
(g)    Yesterday it not only rained but (also) snowed.
(h)   I’ll take either Chemistry or physics next quarter.
(i)      That book is neither interesting nor accurate.
Notice the parallel structure in the examples.
The same grammatical form should follow each word of the pair.
In (f): both + noun+and +noun
In (g): not only + verb + but also + verb
In (h) : either + noun + or +noun
In (i) : neither + adjective + nor + adjective



SUMMARY LIST OF WORDS USED TO INTRODUCE ADVERB CLAUSES
TIME
CAUSE & EFFECT
OPPOSITION
CONDITION
After
Before
When
While
As
By the time (that)
Since
Until
As soon as
Once
As/so long as
Whenever
Everytime (that)
The first time (that)
The last time (that)
The next time (that)
Because
Since
for
as
Now that
As/so long as
Inasmuch as



So (that)
In order that
Eventhough
Although
Though



Whereas
while
if
unless
only if
whether or not
even if
prividing (that)
provided (that)
in case (that)
in the event (that)


2.       SHOWING TIME

After
(a)   After she graduates, she will get a job.
(b)   After she (had) graduated, she got a job.
A present tense, not a future tense, is used in an adverb clause of time.
Before
(c)    I will leave before he comes.
(d)   I (had) left before he came.

When
(e)    When I arrived, he was talking on the phone.
(f)     When I got there, he had already left.
(g)   When it began to rain, I stood under a tree.
(h)   When I was in Chicago, I visited the museum.
(i)      When  I see him tomorrow, I will ask him.
When = at that time
While
As
(j)     While I was walking home, it began to rain.
(k)    As I was walking home, it began to rain.
While, as = during that time
By the time
(l)      By the time he arrived, we had already left.
(m) By the time he comes, we will have left.
By the time = one ivent is completed before another event. (Notice the use of past perfect and future perfect in the main clause)
·         Past perfect +by the time + simple past
·         Future perfect +by the time + simple present
Since
(n)   I haven’t seen him since he left this morning.
Since = from that time to the present.
Present perfect + since+ simple past
Until
till
(o)   We stayed there until we finished our work.
(p)   We stayed there till we finished our work.
Untill, till = to that time and then no longer.
As soon as
Once
(q)   As soon as it stops raining, we will leave.
(r)     Once it stops raining we will leave.
As soon as, once = when one event happens, another event happens soon afterwards.
As long as
So long as
(s)    I will never speak to him again as long as I live.
(t)     I will never speak to him again so long as I live.
As long as, so long as = during all that time, from beginning to end
Whenever
Every time
(u)   Whenever I see her, I say hello.
(v)    Every time I see her, I say hello.
Whenever = every time
The first time
The last time
The next time
(w)  The first time I went to New York, I went to an opera.
(x)    I saw two plays the last time I went to New York.
(y)    The next time I go to New York, I’m going to see a ballet.
Adverb clauses can be introduced by :
                                First
                                Second
The         third                      time
                                Last
                                next

“AFTER “ and “AFTERWARDS”

(a)    After I ate dinner, I took a walk.
I took a walk after I ate dinner.
(b)   I ate dinner. Afterwards, I took a walk.
I ate dinner. I took a walk afterwards.
After can be used to introduce an adverb clause.

Afterwards is an adverb meaning “later, after that”



3.       SHOWING CAUSE AND EFFECT
Because
(a)    Because  he was sleepy, he went to bed.
(b)   He went to bed because he was sleepy.
An adverb clause may precede or follow the independet clause. Notice the punctuation.
Since
(c)    Since he’s not interested in classical music, he decided not to go to the concert.
In (c): since means because.
Now that
(d)   Now that the semester is finished, I’m going to rest a few days and then take a trip.
In (d): now that means because now. Now that  is used for present and future situation.
as
(e)   As she had nothing in particular to do, she called up a friend ad asked her if she wanted to take in a movie.
In (e): as means because
As/so long as
(f)     As long as (So long as) you’re not busy, could you help me with this work?
In (f): as long as means because.
Inasmuch as
(g)   Inasmuch as the two government leaders could not reach an agreement, the possibilities for peace are still remote.
In (g): inasmuch as means because. Inasmuch as is usually found only in formal writing and speech.



4.       SHOWING OPPOSITION

Eventhough
Although
Though
(a)    Eventhough it was cold, I went swimming.
(b)   Although it was cold, I went swimming.
(c)    Though it was cold, I went swimming.
Eventhough, although and though are used to express unexpected result.
Nevertheles
However
(d)   It was cold. Nevertheless, I went swimming.
(e)   It was cold. However, I went swimming.
Nevertheless and However are used as transition words.
Despite
In spite of
(f)     I went swimming despite the cold weather.
(g)    I went swimming in spite of the cold weather.
Despite /in spite of + Noun Phrase
Whereas
While
(h)   Mary is rich, whereas John is poor.
(i)      Mary is rich, while John is poor.
(j)     John is poor, while Mary is rich.
(k)    Whereas Mary is rich, John is poor.
Whereas and While are used to show direct opposition: “this” is exactly the opposite of “that”.



5.       SHOWING CONDITIONS

If
(a)    If it rains, the streets get wet.
(b)   If it rains tomorrow, I will take my umbrella.
“If clauses”(also called adverb clauses of condition) present possible conditions.
Whether or not
(c)    I’m going to go swimming tomorrow whether or not it is cold.
(OR: whether it  is cold or not.)
Whether or not expresses the idea that neither this condition nor that condition matters; the result will be the same. In (c): If it is cold, I’m going swimming. If it is not cold, I’m going swimming. I don’t care about the temperature. I doesn’t matter.
Even if
(d)   I’m going to go swimming tomorrow even if it is cold.
Even if = whether or not
Unless
(e)   I’ll go swimming tomorrow unless it’s cold.
(f)     I’ll go swimming tomorrow if it’s not cold.
Unless = if ... not...
In (a): unless it’s cold = if it’s not cold.
(a)                and (b) have the same meaning
Only if
(g)    The picnic will be cancelled only if it rains.
If it’s windy, we’ll go on the picnic.
If it’s cold, we’ll go on the picnic.
If it’s damp and foggy, we’ll go on the picnic.
If it’s very hot, we’ll go on the picnic.

(h)   Only if it rains, will the picnic be cancelled.
Only if expresses the idea that there is only one condition that will cause a particular result.


In (s), when only if begins a sentence, the subject and verb of the main clause are inverted.
Providing/ provided (that)
(i)      Providing/provided (that) no one has any further questions, the meeting will be adjourned.
Providing/provided (that) = if or only if


Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Rawa Pening Drama (Bahasa Inggris)

B= Boy             : W= Woman    : V1= Villager 1 : V2= Villager 2 : V3= Villager 3 : Rawa Pening Drama Once upon a time, there was a little poor boy came into a little village. He was very hungry and weak. He knocked at every house to ask for some meal, but nobody cares him. B             : (knocks the door) “excuse me, can i get some meal? I am so hungry right now. Ohh why does nobody care me?” He did it at every house but nobody responded. He was about to give up, but he knocked at another house, finally a generous woman got out from her house, she gave him a shelter, a meal and a lesung. W            : (opens the door) “come and sit here boy! Wait for a moment! I’ll take you some meal”( goes to the kitchen) B             : “thank you, ma’am!” (sits down) W            :”here it is and it is!” (gives him a meal and a lesung) B             : (eats the meal) “oh. What is this?” W            :”this is a lesung” B             : “what for?” W            : “

Perkembangan Organisasi Sipil Masa Pendudukan Jepang

Gerakan Tiga A Merupakan nama dan semboyan, yaitu Nippon cahaya Asia, Nippon Pelindung Asia, Nippon pemimpin Asia. Didirikan pada 29 Maret 1942 Diketuai oleh Mr. Syamsuddin Sebagai wadah propaganda Jepang dengan membentuk komite di daerah-daerah. Membentuk divisi islam (Persaipan Persatuan Umat Islam) yang dipimpin oleh Abikusno Cokrosuyoso Namun organisasi ini kurang mendapat simpati dari rakyat sehingga dibubarkan pada Desember 1942. 2.        Pusat Tenaga Rakyat (PUTERA) Setelah dibubarkannya Tiga A, jepang kemudian membentuk Pemuda Asia Raya yang diketuai oleh Sukardjo Wiryopranoto, kemudian organisasi tersebut dibubarkan dan dibentuklah PUTERA. Dukungan rakyat terhadap Jepang mulai berkurang karena Jepang mulai mengekang rakyat. Kemudian Jepang kalah perang dan bekerja sama dengan tokoh nasionalis untuk memulihkan keadaan. Laalu, Jepang membentuk organisasi massa untuk menggerakkan rakyat. PUTERA dibentuk pada 16 April 1943 dengan Ir. Soekarno sebagai ket

CETAK SARING dan FOTOGRAFI

CETAK SARING Sejarah Cetak Saring Teknik sablon adalah salah satu bagian dari ilmu grafika terapan yang bersifat praktis. Teknik sablon dilakukan untuk mencetak berbagai media iklan visual seperti, kertas, kain, plat dan media yang lain yang tidak mengandung air. Cetak sablon digunakan untuk melakukan reproduksi desain, seperti kartu nama, kartu undangan, T’shirt, stiker dan lain-lain. dengan kuantitas lebih dari satu untuk menghasilkan hasil yang serupa. Cetak sablon atau cetak saring ini telah lama dikenal dan digunakan oleh bangsa Jepang sejak Tahun 1664. Ketika itu dikembangkan oleh Miyasaki dan Zisukeo Mirose dalam mencetak beraneka motif Kimono. Penggunaan teknik sablon dalam Kimono ini dilatar belakangi oleh kebijakan Kaisar Jepang yang melarang penggunaan kimono bermotif tulis tangan. Pasalnya Kaisar Jepang sangat prihatin dengan tingginya harga kimono yang bermotif tulis tangan yang beredar di pasaran. Hingga mulai saat itu kimono yang menggunakan motif dari cetak sab